Jumat, 20 September 2019

My Weekly Journal #14 (IELTS-Speaking : Agreeing and Disagreeing)

Hi everyone..

Today, we're going to discuss about Agreeing and Disagreeing.

The examiner will give you questions about your opinion, not a fact and then they will ask you "do you agree with this opinion?"

These questions must be opinions. Of course, when we are asked "do you agree?" or "do you disagree?", We have to answer the questions with:

- Yes, I agree
- No, I disagree

Is it ok for us to say that we kind of agree but we also kind of disagree?

Definitely yes,  and you could use phrases like this:

Partial Disagreement Phrases:


  1. I can see your point, but... (talk about what you disagree with)
  2. I agree with that up to the point, but... (I disagree with other things -- talk about what you disagree with)
  3. I kind  of agree with that ... ( I disagree with other things -- talk about what you disagree with)
You can also just give them a basic general statement like "Well, I agree with some points of that, but some point pf that I disagree with"

So, what is really important here is that you are giving a clear first option so the examiner could know what you are talking about. Are you talking about one side (agree or disagree) or are you talking about both sides (agree and disagree). It make a big difference because you may have grammar probblem, vocabulary problem and pronunciation problem; but if your answer is not clear right away, the examiner is really having a hard time figuring out "what are you answering", "will you be explaining something" because your main idea is not clear.

Total Disagreement Phrases:

  1. Honestly, I absolutely disagree with you because...
  2. Honestly, I totally disagree with you because...
  3. I'm afraid that I disagree with you because...
  4. I'm sorry, but I can't possibly agree with that because...
The reason why you agree and disagree with these phrases are you can talking about cause and effect logic.

For example:

I hate IPhones because they are expensive and have a short battery life. As a result/therefore, I prefer Samsung.

You can talk about cause and effect in multiple ways here:

Eating fast food leads  to diabetes.
A lot of children eat fast food. As a resul, this leads them to have obesity.


Okhay.. Hopefully, it can be useful for you guys.

See you on "My Weekly Journal #15"..

#englishstudio
#engishstudioindonesia
#englishstudiopare
#ieltspare
#ieltsenglishstudio
#beasiswaieltspare
#kampungiggrispare
#kampunginggris
#ieltskampunginggris

1 komentar: